Libersy Webshop allows you to use discount coupon codes in your store. A discount coupon code is a secret code which a customer can use to get a discount when making a purchase. They are used for sales promotion.
Discount coupon codes are issued by store owners and can be distributed in any way the provider finds convenient (for example, through mail, site news or advertisements on other sites).
Discount coupons are available for paid Libersy Webshop accounts only. Compare plans: www.ecwid.com/compare-plans.html
How to create a discount coupon
1. Go to the my.ecwid.com
2. Open the Promotions → Discount Coupons page.
3. Press the "New coupon" button. Fill the necessary fields and press "Save".
Name: add a coupon name for your convenience. Only store owner can see it.
Code: you can use the "generate" link to create a random code or insert your own code. For example "christmas_coupon". Code is case-insensitive. Your customers will use a code to receve a discount. It can be:
- free shipping
- absolute discount (e.g. $5 off)
- percent discount (e.g. 10% off)
- Valid from date — the date when coupon start to work
- Valid until date — the date of coupon expiration
- all orders — coupon will be applied to all orders regardless of their totals.
- orders over $N — coupon will be applied only to orders which totals are greater than $N
- unlimited — no limits. Each customer can apply such coupon numerous times.
- once per customer — each customer can apply a coupon only once per e-mail, however the coupon can be applied numerous times. (also a customer can place two orders with such coupon, if he/she specifies different email addresses).
- single use — coupon can be applied only once
- all — no limits by customer type
- repeat customers only — only customers with existing successful orders can apply such coupon
Products and categories
- select one or several products or/and categories a coupon can be applied for
When the 'Apply a coupon' field on a cart page is displayed?
Libersy Webshop will show the "Apply a coupon" field on a cart page if your store has at least one enabled coupon.
What a discount coupon applies to?
Discount coupons apply to subtotal (sum of items prices for all items in this order without taxes), a discount doesn't apply to shipping cost. The total discount cannot be more than a subtotal.
Is it possible to create a gift card (gift certificate) in Libersy Webshop store?
A single-use discount coupon can be used as a gift card (to some extent) - a customer who has a promotion code can apply such a coupon and get a discount. Also, if you set a 100% discount for a coupon, an order will actually be free for a customer, you can use it for either attracting new customers or offering a reward to regular ones.
- Please mind that discount coupons apply to subtotal (sum of items prices for all items in this order), a discount doesn't apply to shipping cost. So if you charge your customers for shipping, a 'gift card' 100% coupon won't cover cost of shipping.
- If you decide using 100% discount, you will need to enable the 'Skip payment method selection, if the order total is zero' option in order to prevent warning messages caused by the fact that most of the online payment gateways don’t allow orders with zero total. Please refer to this article for the details: What if order total is zero? Can a customer skip payment methods selection in this case?
What limits does Google Checkout apply over discount coupons?
1. There are two possible ways of applying coupon if Google Checkout is used.
- Customer apply a coupon in a cart and then goes to Google Checkout. In this case discount will be shown as a item with the negative price. It will not be possible to apply a new coupon on a Google Checkout page. If you apply a "free shipping" coupon, the new "Free Shipping (coupon: SOME CODE)" shipping method will appear.
- Customer apply a coupon on a Google Checkout page. It's also possibe to apply Libersy Webshop coupons on Google Checkout page(it has a special field for it) Customer can apply only one coupon per order. If you apply a "free shipping" coupon, the new "Free Shipping (coupon: SOME CODE)" shipping method will appear.
2. The "once per customer" limit cannot be checked, if the order is placed via Google Checkout, so a customer can place multiple orders with "once per customer" coupon when using Google Checkout.
3. Google Checkout has the following limitation for UK users:
It means that UK users can apply coupons on Libersy Webshop cart page only and cannot apply it on Google Checkout page yet. E.g. the second way of applying coupon from #4 will not work. However the first way will work just fine.
My customers get a warning saying they cannot pay for a zero-total order, when a discount is more than or equal to order total. How can I fix that?
Such a warning is displayed when a customer tries to pay with an online payment method for a zero-total order, because most of the online payment gateways don’t allow orders with zero total. In order to fix that, you will need to enable the 'Skip payment method selection, if the order total is zero' option in your control panel. Please refer to this articel for the details: What if order total is zero? Can a customer skip payment methods selection in this case?
You can also watch an Libersy Webshop discounts video tutorial made by one of Libersy Webshop users: